Saturday, December 22, 2012

Birth Story (Part 2)...

After being admitted I was given a shot of Morphine to help me get a little rest. It made my contractions 10min apart which was amazing! Laying around trying to get some sleep 5 o'clock came around and I was checked again to see if I made any progress. Eight hours with a progress of.... still a 4!!!! COME ON!!! By 5:30pm my water was broke and contractions starting within minutes VERY strong. At 6:00pm I got an Intrathecal and had the best hour you could imagine! No pain, an amazing hour of rest. At 7:15pm the contractions were strong and the nurse wanted to check me to see if I made any progress. After her first check she had a funny look on her face and asked another nurse to check me. I went from 4 centimeters dilated at 5:00pm to 7:15pm and the nurses couldn't even feel my cervix. The baby dropped down so fast with in those few hours the nurses were shocked and started getting things ready for a baby. My family was on their way to the hospital and B and I just watched as the nursing staff prepared for our little ones arrival. I was still pretty numb from the Intrathecal so once the pushing started around 9:15pm it took a good 45min for me to really get a good system down and know what my body needed to help get this baby out. It took about an hour and forty five minute of pushing before we had our little handsome man in our arms. I was put on oxygen to help Bryson because of the stress from the contractions and the length of pushing he was getting worn out. 11:04pm Bryson Kenneth was born into a room full of family and friends.  B and I, My two sisters, parents and best friend were there for the support and arrival of the first grand baby on my side of the family. Bryson weighed 8lbs 14oz and a whopping 21.5" long! The midwife laid him on my chest while we waited for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing before B cut it. He was beautiful!
Bryson was having a hard time breathing so the nurses took him and put him on oxygen and had to monitor him in the nursery. B went with him and I stayed and got taken care of by the midwife.
About 2:15am I was moved to another room and got to see my son. There we were the three of us... a family. I was so exhausted and so light headed from lots of blood loss it took a good day to get back to feeling balanced. Those two days in the hospital were a blur. We had loved ones come visit and Drs. and staff but the whole time I felt like it was one big blur.
Its been two weeks since Bryson was born and its still taking some time to get a routine down. It takes forever to get ready to go anywhere and a shower still feels amazing! I still miss my sleep but everything is worth it. He is handsome, adorable, cuddly but most of all ours. 












No comments:

Post a Comment