Monday, December 16, 2013

Weaning, My Journey

Woot Woot, I have completed ONE year of breastfeeding my little. (high five) I had a year in mind when we started this journey and am so happy that I was able to see it through. Right from the get go Bryson was able to latch on great, I was able to feel comfortable and get a routine down that just worked for us both. I am so so thankful that we had a great experience throughout the year. No clogged/plugged ducts, no mastitis or thrush just some latching pain in the second week, let down pain and engorgement disscumfort. I was a little worried about the weaning process because nursing was so soothing for Bryson and he enjoyed it so I knew the process had to be slow. Two and a half months before the twelve month mark I started the weaning process. We started Bryson on solids when he was 6months old and very slowly added tastings to his day. I mean very slowly like three pureed baby foods a week for a few weeks. I love the benefits to breastfeeding so we focused on that more. I first took away one of the day feedings (lunch) by replacing it with some pureed baby food. I read some great advice "Don't offer, Don't refuse" in the weaning process. Some days He just needed me so I couldn't refuse when he needed comfort. The transition went smooth so we continued it for one week. If everything was going well the next week I took away another nursing and added more pureed baby food. This process continued until the only nursing sessions left were the first morning feeding, the night time feeding and once around 3am. The next feeding that was replaced was the morning feeding that is now oatmeal. So, with about a month to go to our one year Bryson was only nursing at night time and 3am. Now you see Bryson is still not sleeping through the night at this time. I had a hard time choosing what feeding was next to go. B would put Bryson to bed so we could start the complete weaning a week before his one year Birthday. Bryson was ok, He cried a little and then fell asleep. I on the other hand thought I was going to die! It was so hard for me. Way harder on Mama then on Baby. By the end of the week two days before Bryson was one years old he slept through the night and was completely weaned. Bittersweet. I didn't have a "this is it" nursing. Bryson kind of quite at this time on his own. I miss the bond. I miss the quiet moment of patting his back while he fell asleep on my chest. I miss my under one year old. Most of all I miss the connection, but BOY oh BOY does this kid love his food! I honestly don't know where is goes..? If you are eating anything and he see's you from across the room he will b-lines it strait to you and you better share! I will say I Don't miss waking up at night!


Bryson's first sentence will probably be "Mom whats for dinner." :)


post signature

2 comments: