Monday, August 19, 2013

Hinder or Helping?

The other night after my Husband gave our Son a bath I went into the bathroom and the water was still in the tub, the toys were still everywhere and the towel was on the floor. My first response was to get upset because it felt like he left them there for me to pick up. I felt like a maid. I bent down to start cleaning then took a breath and just walked out of the bathroom. Not because I was mad but because I wanted to give him a chance to pick things up before I said anything. But really, I set myself up to be the maid. Ever since Bryson was born I would stock the diapers, get the room ready for bed, do the laundry, ext. all the household chore a Mom would do. When B would give Bryson a bath I would get the bath water at the right temperature, lay the towel out then get the pj's/lotion & diaper ready. Once the bath time was over I would drain the bath water, pick up the toys, wash the towels, then organize the diaper station once they were all done.... Although in my mind I was just keeping the house clean, keeping things moving along and "helping" I truly was making it worse for myself. I have a hard time just being. Just sitting on the couch doing nothing is a long lost word in my dictionary. I was setting myself up to be the maid and a potential future argument with my Husband that was all started and finished by me. Poor guy didn't even get a change to help... So, even when I thought I was helping I was taking away B 's chance to help me. Then the conversation on not having enough help around the house probably would have been brought up.... Once again, I would be taking away his chance to help if I keep doing it all. I cant expect things from my Husband (Or Baby) if I don't step back and give them a chance to help me. B did clean up the bathroom without me stepping in. Its nice for me to know I have a Husband that does help when I step back. I need to learn to step back and know its ok to have help from those who love you. 
 
 
    post signature

2 comments:

  1. I have this problem all the time, but I don't handle it nearly as gracefully. I always end up making a snide remark to my husband, which I know is not nice. Kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its tough to remind yourself but One big breath is helpful for me :) Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete