Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why I take out the trash

{Reasons I Keep My House Clean}

When I was pregnant and people asked me if I was nesting, my answer was "I next 365 days a year." I love my house clean but bottom line organized. Everything has a place even if that place is on the floor for a day because I swear I just cleaned it. I am slightly obsessive with picking things (toys, blankets, shoes) up off the floor before I go to bed each night. Its sort of a clutter free mind thing...?!?
It may be considered odd but when I started to think about it, I realized there are some good reasons why I take the time to clean up the clutter from the day each night.

  • I get more done when my house is clean. When my house is clean it motivates me to get more done outside the home. Taking out the trash is very releasing and of course less smell. Cleaning up the floors just makes a more inviting space. I have less on my mind and more time with my family before the next mess begins. 
  • It just looks better. This is a givin. Clean floors, freshly washed bedding, sparkling dishes just makes the home feel bright and inviting. Our home isn't to big or to small (its just right :) so when items are in there place it gives it just the right amount of openness we are missing.
  • It saves money.  Taking care of my home and my things means I am less likely to replace something that gets lost or broken.  When things are messy I want only to escape the clutter, which can often mean going to the store and mindlessly filling a cart with even more stuff we don’t need.  When things are clean, I have no desire to be any place but here.
  • It makes my husband happy.  Who wants to come home after a hard day’s work to a house full of chaos? There are far too many days when B comes home and the dishes are piled in the sink, dinner isn’t made, I haven't showered and the rest of the house looks likes there was a 21st Birthday party the night before. But on the days the house is clean and dinner is made and Bryson is happy, there is an unspoken peace and thankfulness on his face.
  • It’s my job.  When I choose to be a stay-at-home mom, I agreed to all the duties that came with it, including keeping the house clean.  It’s not B's responsibility to go to work all day then come home and pick up after Bryson & I too.  For the record, He never complains and will make dinner for us if the day has gotten away from me. I Love this Man! Yes, I work too, but my “work” is secondary to my primary job of Mom.
  • I am more creative.  Instead of seeing nothing but a cluttered mess, my mind is clear to see the creative potential around me, and my table is open to spread out and complete a project.  Likewise, when my kitchen is clean, it makes me want to cook things! (not bake that's a whole other story) I know this doesn’t bother some people, but I have a really hard time creating anything–or enjoying the process–when I am surrounded by clutter.
  • I get Me time.  This is so important. I need to think, read, pray and have a clear mind to rejuvenate so I can be the best Wife, Mom, Me as much as possible but also remember who I am as a person. Just like my post Time Out I need Me too. Most important!
There are plenty of days where my house is a complete and utter disaster.  In fact sometimes by the end of the day it is worse then when I started cleaning it that morning. And that’s life. When all is said and done, if my house is clean, the family is happy and I am rested I can just breathe a little easier.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. It's so true, that a clean house is a happy home (usually!). lol. I just wish I had more motivation to clean more. I definitely pick up the clutter and try to keep up with the every day things, but have been pretty bad lately with laundry and dishes. Those two things are always piling up around my house. My poor husband. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the never ending story! Lets just eat out HA!

      Delete